Creating bulletin boards, chat rooms...

Richard K. Herz herz at ucsd.edu
Mon May 10 19:29:06 EDT 2004

Alejandro Tejada asked:

> How many simultaneous users could it handle?
> 50 users? 100 users?

Don't know.  I've only had a half-dozen people chatting at the same time.
Seems this may be something Pierre Sahores or others on the list could
addresss.

> It's in a dedicated server? It's in Linux or BSD?

Shared Linux server at a hosting company.

> Do you have plans to make it available
> to other developers at some point?

Possibly.  Right now it's not a lot more than Tuviah's SimpleChat example
which is posted at the bottom of
http://www.runrev.com/resources/usercontributions.shtml . My biggest change
is that, when the server stack is not running and not accepting sockets, the
client stack posts to a Rev CGI script at the server which starts using the
server stack and tells it to accept sockets.  If you have a couple Win XP
computers, download the English version at www.reactorlab.net and chat with
yourself, since this "version 2" was just posted a couple days ago and no
one has it.  (I might take it down soon - if I do ask off list - because
communication doesn't work in the standalone on Win 98 for some reason even
though it works on 98 in dev mode).

Rich Herz