Creating bulletin boards, chat rooms...

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at yahoo.com
Mon May 10 15:59:53 EDT 2004

on Sun, 9 May 2004
Richard K. Herz wrote:

> My second version of a Rev chat/message board uses
> multiple socket
> connections to a single Rev engine/server stack
> instance.

Very interesting!!!

How many simultaneous users could it handle?
50 users? 100 users?

It's in a dedicated server? It's in Linux or BSD?

> The first client
> connecting, when it finds it can't establish a
> socket, sends a cgi post to
> the server which starts the Rev engine/server stack
> which then starts
> accepting sockets.  The server stack shuts down when
> there is no activity.

> When a client first connects, the Rev server stack
> sends it a portion of the
> log file.  When a client sends a message, the server
> stack appends it the
> the log file, broadcasts it to all connected
> clients, and also broadcasts a
> separate status message with the number of current
> connections for display
> at the client stacks.

Do you plan to expand his functionality?

> My first version worked well but my web host shut it
> down.  It relied solely
> on individual cgi posts for all communications (hey,
> I'm an amateur at this)
> and my web host said all the Rev engine instances
> starting up was too big a
> load on the shared web server.

Do you have plans to make it available
to other developers at some point?

I'm curious to know what's the limit of simultaneous
connection that some types of servers can handle.

Thanks a lot for your response!

al

=====
Visit my site: