Screen Resolution

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun May 9 14:29:46 EDT 2004

curry wrote:

> Getting past the ethics of switching and onto the practical aspects, I
> haven't tried it recently so I'm out of touch/out of date with the
> proper tools for it, but I noticed that last month there was a bit of
> discussion about it and a few suggestions were made. You can find those
> if you go to the page:
>
> http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2004-April/thread.html
>
> ...and then find "Screen" on the page--first message about 45 percent of
> the way down the page I would estimate.
>
> I would like to know what turns up and what works out for future
> reference, so if anyone follows up on these or tries others, it would be
> great if they posted something about it here.
>
> (Richard, how did your friend come out with this? Did he find good
> solutions for both platforms?)

I told him what the posters here said:  That he was rude for wanting his
game to behave like all others.  ;)

No, seriously, I have been catching up on other things while looking for
a more immediately-implementable solution.

I'll write him today to let him know about the API call (thanks for
remindinding me).

If you have a Mac and want to see what's being ported to Rev, it's an
amazing piece of work:
<http://www.alidagame.com/>

As I understand it, he wrote designed the game, modeled, textured, and
rendered all those hundreds of screens and QT movies, put together a
very rich sound design which includes a great score for the background
music -- all by himself, five CDs' worth.  Some of the puzzles are
easier than Myst, some are harder, all intriguing.  The game is on the
order of Riven (the Myst sequel) in terms of quality, scope, and
game-play style. It's a truly remarkable achievement, so huge and well
done it makes most everyone I know look like slackers. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation