Data Protection (was: Another CGI question. Keeping an array over more than one Webpage

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at yahoo.com
Sat May 8 20:25:17 EDT 2004

on Sat, 8 May 2004 00:39:58 +0200
Pierre Sahores wrote in response to Alejandro Tejada:

> > By the way, talking about protection of data,
> > Does exist a way to get the contents or
> > the scripts of stacks opened directly in the
> > engine, downloaded from the web?
> > Someone told me that it's possible to make a dump
> > of the memory and take the data from the resulting
> > file. It's really possible to get a stack from a
> > dumped memory file?

> Even if it's, in theory, possible, suppose, just as
> an example, in
> between many other possibles ways :
>
> 1.- your main stack is password protected ;
> 2.- this stack contains substacks protected by
> randomly set passwords ;
> 3.- the mainstack herits from the substacks stack's
> and/or card's
> scripts by activating them as front and back
> scripts...
>
> No sure it will be a piece of cake to rebuild all
> the stuff needed to
> get the stack cracked and runable at the same
> time...

Pierre, you work in the Linux platform, where these
kind of memory dump tools are common.

Could you make a small test with a password protected
stack and another unprotected, in the next weekend?

Read the information in this page:

http://www.nii.co.in/vuln/crypt.html

> I remember an hypercard stack i did so uncrackable,
> uncopyable, etc...
> that i could never restart it until i took together
> an old unprotected
> issue of it and the source code of the protected
> stack to build a new one...

This is very interesting. Do you remember the approach
that you take to create this kind of protection?

> In about protecting code and apps, the key
> features are in the
> design, lots more than in the technical tasks...

Agreed, but when we are working with other people's
data, safekeeping it's a 24 hour requisite.

Thanks a lot for your insights!

al

=====
Visit my site: