Create alias from CDROM to desktop?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Thu May 6 13:39:22 EDT 2004

> > I've got a CD-ROM that has a Revolution app running on it,
> and I want
> > that Revolution app to create an alias, pointint to itself to the
> > user's desktop. I know that I can use the defaultFolder to find the
> > path to the app, and I know I can use "the
> specialFolderPath" to find
> > the path to the desktop.  Can anyone tell me how I could pass these
> > parameters to Applescript to perform the alias creation?
> Will I run
> > into issues with the difference in how Applescript vs. Rev
> handles the
> > "/Volumes/" string, or how the CD-ROM path is formed?
>
> Is there a reason you can't use the create alias command in Rev?

Yes, unfortunately there's a bug in Bugzilla (#1059) about the inability to
make aliases to apps in OS X because they are "folders", and 'create alias'
only works with files.

You can use the revMacFromUNIXPath functions to convert the '/'-delimited
paths to ":"-delimited ones that Applescript likes. You can then do this:

put "tell app" && q("Finder") & cr & \
  "set tFile to" && q(tPathToApp) & cr & \
  "make new alias file at" && pAliasPath && "to tFile" & cr & \
  "set the name of (the result) to" && q(tAliasName) & cr & \
  "end tell" into tScript
do tScript as AppleScript

Oh, q() is my function that wraps quotes around things:

function q pWhat
  return quote & pWhat & quote
end q

HTH,