Bezier curves

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Sat May 1 07:51:24 EDT 2004

Greetings all,

An earlier thread on Bezier Curves peaked my interest; in particular,
how do you program the multi-point bezier curve? Alejandro Tejada
showed us how to draw the basic bezier unit, a bezier line with two
end points each with its own tangent control.

It turns out that the multi-point bezier line can be made up of a
combination of these basic units. Since only nearest neighbors
interact on a bezier line, all that is needed is to allow nearest
neighbors of these basic units to talk to one another--gossip over
the fence.

Draw the basic shape in RR using the polygon tool. The plug-in then
uses that graphic as a template for the bezier curve, replacing the
polygon points with bezier handles and the intervening straight line
with a bezier line.

It allows for both corner points and continuous tangent points.

And, because it interests me, I have included a little bit about the
underlying mathematics in a substack.

If you have need of bezier lines you will find this plug-in at:

http://home.infostations.net/jhurley/

and look for Bezier Line under Utilities.

Jim