Additional question

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 31 00:52:39 EST 2004

--- Glen Bojsza <gbojsza at mac.com> wrote:
> Jan,
>
> Thanks for the clue...
>
> I seem to be able to check each explicit variable
> name for keys to see
> if it is an array. But when I try to use it with a
> combine command I
> get an error?
>
> So, if aname is composed of 2 variable names for
> example trial and
> score.
>
> combine trial with space  -- generates an error
>
> get transpose(trial)
> combine it with space -- works and gives the
> associated values
>
> I want to be able to "cycle" through the aname list
> and manipulate the
> individual arrays - in this given case -- trial and
> score.
>
> Is it necessary to use the "do" function for this
> type of routines as
> well?
>
> **I heard that the "do" command degrades
> performance??
>
> Anyways, thanks for your help.
>
> regards,
>
> Glen

Hi Glen,

You'll need to use 'do' again to cycle through the
names ; unless you know the names in advance, but then
you could avoid the whole 'do' by using a lengthy
switch statement.

Just to show how flexible this can be, here's a bit of
code that I use to extract part of a bigger array into
a smaller array :
--
repeat for each line tSubKey in tSubKeys
  put the keys of tBigDataA into tKeys

As for 'do' degrading performance, it's absolutely
true, but sometimes it's the only way to make things
work -- and a slightly slower solution is better than
no solution at all, right ?

Best regards,

Jan Schenkel.

PS : I prefer having the questions and answers on the
list, as others might be facing the same problem and
not know where to start ; plus, you might not have to
wait until I get round to answering.

=====