Screen vs Page vs Card

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Mar 30 11:50:22 EST 2004

On Monday, March 29, 2004, at 06:02 AM, j wrote:

>> Those who don't know something about programming cling to metaphors
>> they understand.
>
> Maybe.  So they should be excluded from exploring programming?  That
> smacks of elitism.

Just the opposite.  I never said they should be excluded.  I'm saying
that those of us in programming need to understand this.  Blindly,
saying that the notion of a card is obvious is elitism.  The right way
to look at the card metaphor is only obvious to those who have paid the
price of getting up to speed in Hypercard.  As usual in any learning
curve, those who have paid the price have forgotten what it was like.

Dar Scott