pop3 attachment decoding

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Tue Mar 30 00:14:54 EST 2004

Hi Chris,
The encoding just reads the file as binary data, then uses
base64encode. If you did the reverse, remembering to save as a binfile,
I reckon it should work no matter what the file type.

If you wanted to use Stuffit Expander instead, I have a technique I use
sometimes for Apple Mail when attachments don't display properly, but
just come through in their encoded form. I select the encoded section
(from one boundary marker to the next), copy and paste it into a text
editor, then save the file as "whatever.hqx". If you then double-click,
Stuffit Expander will decode it correctly.

Cheers,
Sarah