(long) Transparent IDE elements and other problems

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Mon Mar 29 03:24:35 EST 2004

On Monday, March 29, 2004, at 06:51  AM,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> From: Chipp Walters <chipp at chipp.com>
> Subject: Re: (long) Transparent IDE elements and other problems
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
> I guess what I'm trying to say, is that all programming goes through
> some optimization. Heck, even C++ programs have parts written in
> Assembly language in order to optimize their speed-- it's just part of
> the process.

Chipp,

You're right.  I sent off a demo stack that showed the problem to Geoff
Canyon, and he wrote back that I should add a bug to Bugzilla about RR
having problems handling large numbers of text fields.  But the
interesting part of the process was that I did some timings before I
sent the stack off and found a couple of ways that I could speed up my
code significantly.  Working alone is great for some things, but what I
wouldn't give for someone to do a code review with once in awhile...

By the way, my tests showed that the two slowest statements with large
numbers of groups and fields appear to be:

     put someValue into field fieldName of group groupName

and

    if there is a field fieldName of group groupName

-- Frank