Screen vs Page vs Card

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Sun Mar 28 22:25:30 EST 2004

I disagree, FWIW.  Conceptually, the two sets are *very different*.

Books are necessarily LINEAR.  How do you explain a non-linear book?
(Okay, you can present the case of an encyclopedia or dictionary, but
they're the *exception*, not the norm).

You all are thinking in terms of people who already know something about
programming.

I'm thinking about those who don't.

And they're the prime territory of unconverted masses (because people who
want to discuss the semantics of card versus panel versus page ALREADY
understand the exception case of how they can be the same).

Besides -- has ToolBook really had the same impact that Hypercard has?
I'm kinda doubting it... and this isn't just prejudice -- it's after a
literature review search in ACM periodicals. You'll find Hypercard coming
up in searches for 'novice programmer' but I haven't found one yet that
references ToolBook (which I loathed, btw...).

Judy