Tabbed buttons

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Mar 28 20:41:26 EST 2004

Stephen Messimer wrote:
> Does anybody know a way to make a new row of tabs in a tabbed button?
> Sometimes I have a button that needs to be a specific width but that
> width isn't long enough to accommodate all the tabs.  In both the Mac
> and Windows OSs one sees examples of tabbed windows with more than one
> row. Is this possible to do using the tabbed button? If not is there a
> work around for this?

There's an article at either useit.com or uie.com on why multi-row tabs
are problematic.  I don't have the URL handy, but in any event there's
nothing built-in to accomodate them in Rev.

Maybe a better solution (Microsoft, are you listening?) is to have a
list on the left of your window which opens appropriate panels as items
are selected.  All platforms use this convention (even Microsoft now and
then) so it won't be off-putting to users, is easy to implement, and it
gives you greater flexibility with none of the confusing row-jiggling
downsides of Microsoft's multi-row tabs.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation