If exists question

Mark MacKenzie m.mackenzie at sasktel.net
Sun Mar 28 11:50:03 EST 2004

Okay, I have been wrestling with this one long enough that I don't need
a haircut for another month!

I create by cloning from a "master" card a new card.  During the cloning
I capture the new card's abbreviated ID and change its card name to
"EmptyCard".

The new card's abbr ID is put into global gNewCardID

Then, at the end of this handler:

wait 30 milliseconds -- put in to allow Rev to catch up with functions
if exists(gNewCardID)
    then
       go to gNewCardID
       put emtpy into gNewCardID
end if

Rev can't find this new card.  I have captured the global gNewCardID
into "msg" and it updates and shows the newly created card abb ID.

I have tried this handler with the card name as well with the same results.

When this function doesn't work it is usually within the IDE even with
the Development Tools suspended.

The question is, I guess, has anyone found peculiarities or
idiosyncracies with Rev's "exists" function and how did you get around
them or trap the errors for correction?  I have looked to no avail in
the archives.

(BTW, although not new to revolution I admit to not being as well versed
in using the debugging tools as I would like to be and perhaps need to be.)

Regards Mark MacKenzie