(long) Transparent IDE elements and other problems

j j at clsdesignassociates.com
Sat Mar 27 13:04:01 EST 2004

> I see no reason to create an artificial barrier to someone who wants
> to add 1000 or more photos to an album in my product (and what max
> would you pick if it were your product?).

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough, apparently.  I was not thinking of the
maximum limits of the databases themselves.  I maintain databases with
hundreds of thousands of items.  When I mentioned limitations of the
UI, I meant the visible user interface—what users see on their screen.
Certainly, my questions are applicable to the number of items visible
at any one time.  There is a limit to the number of items that can be
on screen and effectively processed by the user.  Cramming thousands of
images onto the screen at one time won't be effective.

Even iPhoto, which you mentioned, allows settings which are of little
use.  Using the image size slider to view the photos at their smallest
size allows something like 200 photos to be viewed at once on a 15 inch
monitor at high resolution.  The problem is this makes the photos
essentially unrecognizable, especially if several images look similar.
All of the names must be clipped to something like "M..." to
accommodate all the thumbnails, which is also useless.  Additionally,
the sheer number of items alone will overwhelm most users to the point
of "productivity paralysis."

J.