Remote Find Questions

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sat Mar 27 09:00:05 EST 2004

>If your database is a pile of cards then marking the cards is faster
>than finding.

Wouter,

I will look further into marking cards; but the real issue for me is
the ability to start the search or marking process at a specific card
and stop searching/marking after reaching another specific card.
Here's why:

Unlike dBase or older versions of Filemaker, SDB databases support
multiple record types in a single file.  I might have a database with
1,000 customer records, 10,000 invoice records, 10,000 payment
records, 50,000 inventory part records, 50,000 part issue records,
200 chart of account records, and 200 ledger records.  If I am
searching for one or more ledger records, I want the search to start
at the first ledger record and end as soon as possible after the
200th ledger record...I don't want to search the 121,200 records that
are not ledger records.  [Of course, if there is only one hit in the
db regardless of record type, the entire stack will be searched once
plus the ordinal of the card where the search started.]

Unless someone can offer a better way to do this, I will look to see
if the issue has been addressed in Bugzilla.  If not, I will propose
an enhancement to the find command to (a) support startingCard &
endingCard parameters and (b) application of find to any stack
instead of just the defaultStack.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company