waveforms + more rants about Rev as a dev. tool for the future

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Mar 24 10:28:18 EST 2004

>And while we're at it, I'd like to discuss a bit more the choice of
>Rev as a dev. tool for apps such as sound, scientific and other
>critical, high end & custom apps...
>As said before (in a recent post about imagedata), for the last 12 to 18
>months, I find myself more and more forced to spend time on
>features lacking in Rev : a PDF library, various sound file processing
>(FFT, filtering), waveform vizualisation (2D and 3D), etc
>while only 2 years ago I was able to do everything with Rev (actually
>MC back then)...

Well, I know you mean. But I also don't think that Rev is really out
of the loop. IMHO the way to continue supporting the base users as
well as advanced users is through add-on libraries and plugins. And I
don't mean only those coming from RunRev itself but from 3rd parties.
However, the developers of such libraries must be able to get money
for them if they wish. Look for example at REALbasic and the zillion
of plugins offered for it, some free, some shareware, some
commercial. We got several fantastic libraries from a few montivated
Rev users but it is not enough. RunRev could put some effort into
addressing issues and obstacles and encourage such efforts in various
ways.

Robert Brenstein