Counting lines

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Mar 24 09:40:59 EST 2004

While experimenting with line numbers, I found out that these two statements

   put "String1" into line 1 of fld "myField" -- A

and

   put "String0" into line 0 of fld "myField" -- B

have the same effect if that line was empty to start with (Ken, should that
be "were empty"?) - the string goes into line 1. However, if you start with
an empty field and execute A then B, you end up with the second string put
before the first string on line 1. If you reverse the order to B then A, A
overwrites B. There are also variations on this with negative line numbers.

Do you think I can rely on this, or is it just an unplanned quirk as far as
the RR engine is concerned?

Graham