Text issues with Mac "Cube"

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Mar 23 12:19:08 EST 2004

I have a customer who's experiencing a very odd circumstance:  when
displaying a text file in a field, clicking in specific character
offsets in the text causes several paragraphs to effectively disappear,
moving the text below them up.  Clicking elsewhere in the field causes
the text to be redrawn normally.

I have no scripts altering the text contents, and the file itself is
plain ASCII (I've reviewed a reportedly binary copy of the file in
question).  Following her recipe I cannot reproduce the problem on any
of my machines here, including one with the exact same OS version (9.2.2).

Even stranger, the problem occurs for her with only one of nine text
files she's using; all others work well for her, and here all nine work
well.

Her system profile shows a fairly stock system, with very few
third-party extensions and the problem is reproducible to her with
extensions off anyway.

The only difference we can identify at the moment between her system and
mine is that she's using an Apple Cube, which contains an architecture
and logic board among the shortest-lived in Apple's history.

Given this, I wonder if there may be some odd interaction between
something in that machine and the Rev engine.

Anyone else have unusual experiences with Rev text handling on a Mac Cube?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation