Summarizing the C vs Transcript conversations...

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Tue Mar 23 05:24:03 EST 2004

Hello All,

There's been a fair number of posts regarding the fact that Transcript
doesn't look and act like C.  (I'm afraid that I was a big part of the
conversation a couple of months ago when I suggested that it would be
nice if simple constructs like "a = b + c" could be supported.)  And
now that I am completing this photo album project, I thought I'd share
my experience.

This project has two pieces, a RunRev based client for Mac and PC, and
(optional) PHP server code.  Lately I have been going back and forth
between Transcript and PHP, making sure that the code producing static
photo album pages is identical to the dynamic pages produced by the PHP
code.  I have my iBook on the left, running RunRev, and a PC on the
right running Zend Studio, and I spend a lot of time going back and
forth between the two.

What's been interesting about this part of the process is that my
thoughts of a couple of months ago, which ran in the vein of "what a
pain in the a-- that Transcript doesn't work like C/PHP" have mellowed
to "OK, that's Transcript code, and this is PHP code, and it will only
take a couple of minutes to convert between the two".   I'm surprised
how often I will make something work in Transcript, and then port it to
PHP; and then the other way around, I'll develop it first in PHP and
then convert it to Transcript.

I understand Marc's desire that it would be nice if Transcript
supported C-like syntax, because most of the worlds computer languages
are C/Algol like (no need to comment if you have counterexamples that
all languages aren't C/Algol like...I believe you).  But I also
understand the bulk of the list's belief that Transcript is easier to
learn than C (it is), and that there really is no good reason to add
C/Algol like syntax, because, well, there isn't.  Everything you want
to do in Transcript you can.  And once you get your head around the
fact that it isn't C, it is, well, much easier to stomach the fact that
it won't ever be C.

So Marc, and everyone else who's scratching their heads wondering if
it's worth putting up with this strange syntax, the answer is yes.
Transcript and Revolution are what they are, and wishing them different
isn't going to change things, but the productivity increases are so
great that it is worth learning and using.

Enjoy,
-- Frank Leahy

p.s. No need to respond...I'm really not trying to re-ignite a flame
war...