Database Experience

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Mon Mar 22 22:57:57 EST 2004

On Mar 23, 2002, at 12:37 AM, Brian Yennie wrote:

> Worth noting that for a web app, if you are going to lock records then
> those locks must timeout after a while- otherwise someone can leave
> something locked forever, and there is no way for you to detect for
> sure that they are gone.

yes... I learned that the hard way.... I remember shouting "WHY THE
HELL CAN'T I CHANGE MY PREFS RECORDS!!!! THIS CODE IS BUGGY!!!"... tesc
tesc tesc... after one hour struggle with session management routines,
cookies and the like I thought "Who is removing the records from the
queue if user disconects..."... I went to the kitchen and opened a
coke.

There's also another grip, if the DB does not support rollback, you
might want to store old values in a cache for a while so that you can
hard code a rollback... yes, this is ugly, but so is any "undo"...

--
Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004
Soap Dog Studios - BRAZIL