counter++ versus "add 1 to counter"

A.C.T. albrecht at act-net.com
Sun Mar 21 13:34:13 EST 2004

Moin, Brian,

> Now I think we're really getting to the crux of things =)!

absolutely. It is just what I tried to explain: A programming language
IS NOT a human language, but Transcript is "somewhat English", more than
a "normal" programming language is. That makes things difficult for
someone who takes a programming language independant from its English
wording like I do: I don't care if PHP uses Spain for its commands or if
Perl uses nonsense for its commands, the commands are simple
"vocabulary" to me. It is the LOGIC that should play a role and
"language logic" is dependant on the language you chose. So "Transcript"
uses "English logic", not completely, but a subset of it. My example
tried to show that: You do not only have to know English, you have to
know the specific Transcript dialect with all its limitations (you
cannot say "increment", you HAVE to say "add"). Already "speaking" this
dialect makes things easy. Coming from a different development
environment makes things more complicated than necessary.
I explained my background as having "coded" in Machine Language (hex
codes only). That wasn't English - at all. It was more like "Latin"
(learn the logic once and you are done). I consider a programming
language a tool to reach a goal - that goal is NOT telling a story or
explaining TO A HUMAN BEING what I intend to do. That goal is to make
the computer do what I want it to.

Any influence that makes the interaction between the developer (and his
staff) and the machine unprecise has to be avoided. Introducing "human
interactive components" like "sentence structures" are distractions,
they don't enforce the goal that is to be reached. They _do_ have their
reasons if you have to "prototype" something and make the programming
language easily understandable, even to other developers (that are not
familiar with the language you would normaly choose), though.

So, into the group: THANKS for the discussion. Speaking ones mind is not
always allowed nowadays and it was a relieve to do it here.

Marc Albrecht
A.C.T. / Level-2
Glinder Str. 2
27432 Ebersdorf