OptionKey madness

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Mar 20 12:07:34 EST 2004

FlexibleLearning at aol.com wrote:

>>This card script:
>>
>>on rawKeyDown k
>>  if optionKey() is "down" then put k
>>  else  pass rawKeyDown
>>end rawKeyDown
>>
>>... displays the value of k when typing Option-2, Option-5, or Option-8
>>into a field, but not when typing any other numeric Option keys in a field.
>>What gives?
>
> Works for me, Richard, using mc2.51 so not much wrong with the engine.

Yes, I was running in the MC IDE too.  So we have one case where it
works (yours), and two where it doesn't (Scott Rossi's and mine).  Hmmm...

Are you using a Mac?  I'm using a PowerBook G4 1GHz, with OS X 10.3.3.

With at least one other user having the same issue I may need to shy
away from using the Option key combos I was hoping for.  Drag.

My goal was to provide 20 simple keystrokes for user-settable actions,
giving them Cmd/Ctrl-1 through 0, and Opt/Alt-1 through 0.  Function
keys are out since both Win and Mac OSes reserve so many for specific
features.  Now it seems Option keys may be out as well, and the Shift
key isn't available since text entry must also be supported and may
include capital letters.

Any other options, or am I just going to have to restrict entry to 10
Command-key-driven settable options?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation