Synonym Misnomers

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Mar 20 06:01:32 EST 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:42:54 -0800, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

>[...]
>
>I've introduced a lot of folks to Transcript as a second language, and I
>find the pattern often works like this:
>
>First week:  "I hate this, it isn't what I'm used to."
>
>Two to three weeks:  "Hmmmm, there's a lot in here."
>
>Four to six weeks:  "Wow, there's a lot in here!"
>
>Two months:  "I'm more productive now than I was in my other favorite
>language."
>
>Six months:  "I love this thing like no other."

Well, I love it, sure, but I still find that if I have the idea that
something can be done in Transcript, I can't always find it in the docs.
This is of course as nothing compared to searching Microsoft Help files,
where they seem to have employed a person to extract all the synonyms for
functions that I can think of, but nevertheless IMO finding stuff in the
docs remains a bit of a lottery. For example, if it wasn't for this list
I'd still be searching for the method of doing a submenu (or hierarchical
menu, or cascading menu, or branching menu), because I couldn't find an
easy way of looking it up. Basically once I've searched the TD and the
recipe section of the docs I'm stuck - and I think this kind of feeling
does get to people, even experienced ones, when faced with something as
rich as Transcript. I'm not saying there's a simple solution to this, but
all of us who want people to love (and buy) the product, should continue to
think of ways of improving the situation.

2 more Eurocents from me

Graham