Blogger tool development, Request for Team Effort and it's not OT anymore (was.. Re: [OT] Someone looking for a blogger posting program)

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Fri Mar 19 12:08:30 EST 2004

On Mar 19, 2004, at 6:20 AM, Graham Samuel wrote:

> Hi
>
> I noticed that someone on mac-L is looking for a blogger posting
> program, and the only recommendation so far has been something called
> ECTO.
>
> I wouldn't know a blogger if it came up and bit me in the leg, but
> this may be an opportunity for something already done by a Rev
> developer, from vague (perhaps incorrect) memories I have of this
> list.
>
> As the info is already in the public domain, it seems OK to reproduce
> it here:

Hi,

I've been doing programs related to Blog from sometime. I did the first
blogger tool available for macintosh in back in System 9, it was called
iBlog (not the iBlog from lifli) and was a huge success, it was done in
RB 2.x.... after that when apple introduced MacOS X, I did made some
carbon patches in iBlog, but I droped RB for couple reasons. I did a
natice cocoa app for Blog access then, It has almost all features of
old iBlog plus it's a nice metal app. It's called blogworkz now, and
it's gainning popularity.

There are couple possibilities for your friend, the only serious one
are ECTO, Frequency and BlogWorkz. I am in favor of my app for it's
more user friendly and I am the only one to have Blogger Title Fields
implemented, plus my app is more user friendly then the rest (ECTO has
more features related to third part blog systems...)

As for Revolution, I have a internal beta here  of my new app for Blog,
it's done in 100% transcript (I had one that mixed transcript and
applescript) and it is almost usable, thats why it's not released yet.
I must first be able to parse XML in a non-hack way so that my own
implementation of XML-RPC becomes fault-proof.

If people here want to join in a kind of team and develop togheter a
nice Blog App, we could join, create a blog and investigate the
possiblities of Blogger new API called ATOM, It's based on the REST
concept where everything is done by GET, POST, PUT and DELETE to
especial URLs, so it's pretty easy for revolution. I did some
preliminary studies of the new API, it's possible to implement in
transcript and if some XML-savvy programmer join this iniciative, it
could be done in couple days. This is the kind of programm that spread
like fire in the forest, if we could pop a solution for all the
plataforms Revolution suppports it would gain great media coverage.
There are only clients for Mac, Win and Linux, and linux clients are
strange. AIX admins might want to blog too! :-D

I'll put some URLs of interest here bellow the message, also, if
someone want to help make this program, just announce and will do the
first colaborative-made program of the community, it would be fun to
see people here working togheter build some quick and easy program!

URLs (okay, three urls are mine, but the rest is not):

Soap Dog Studios - my company where you can see some blog development
http://www.soapdog.org

my iBlog - code is deprecated
http://iblog.soapdog.org

BlogWorkz - complete blog posting solution (manage even templates, and
got cool dictionary-like automatic text replacements)
http://blogworkz.soapdog.org

Blogger.com Weblog for the developers
http://www.blogger.com/developers/

Blogger API 1.0 (it's the old api, but that's the only one wide
supported, there are some undocumented features tough...)
http://www.blogger.com/developers/api/1_docs/

XML-RPC Standard (XML Remote Procedure Call, very good spec, solves a
bunch of trouble, I've got it implemented in Rev)
http://www.xmlrpc.com

Blogger new API called ATOM (it's new, poor documented and strange.)
http://www.atomenabled.org

BloggerDev at YahooGroups! (where the flamebait happens)
mailto:bloggerdev-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Both API 1.0 and ATOM makes heavy use of XML. XML-RPC is easier and
direct, there's a URL pointing to a CGI then by making correct XML,
you're able to call remote methods, like for example "Blogger.newPost"
method that will post a new entry to a blog, just imagine you're
calling remote Revolution Handlers, it works great. ATOM is different,
you might want to use it like a SOAP Envelope, this meaning you
construct a SOAP XML document, but use it thru ATOM/REST spec (this was
once called PIE too... many name changes), or, you'll craft a very
special HTTP request, in the headers (our httpheaders property) will go
all the autentication stuff, in the body of the request, a simple XML
will sufice the parameters, and thru what URL and Method you're doing
your request, you'll receive the desired answer. For example by doing a
GET in the blog, you'll receive blog entries, by doing a PUT, you'll
make a new entry... DELETE will delete an entry and the like.

Developers are not migrating to ATOM for they trust API 1.0 for many
years, but the migration will be inevitable since Blogger will no
longer update 1.0 API (there was even a 2.0 api, but that was never
fully implemented). The first one to release a ATOM enabled client will
be a winner. I was trying to make it alone, but I would glad
participate on a team effort and show the world our Revolution is a
serious one!

I'll not write more for I don't know if there's anyone interested on
this here... I'll wait for feedback.

Cheers
Andre

--
Andre Alves Garzia - Soap Dog Studios - BRAZIL
http://studios.soapdog.org