Drawing inside images (was : Problem with imagedata)

jbv jbv.silences at Club-Internet.fr
Fri Mar 19 03:46:32 EST 2004

Dar Scott a *crit :

> On Thursday, March 18, 2004, at 11:42 AM, jbv wrote:
>
> > Anyway, did anyone already tried to draw directly
> > inside an imagedata (segments, curves... and why
> > not antialiasing) ? IOW try to emulate some kind
> > of quickdraw routines ?
>
> This is promising territory.  I'm experimenting with a different way of
> looking at mathematical objects in images.

Yesterday evening I made some experiments about displaying
waveforms in realtime inside an image, like in the following :
http://perso.club-internet.fr/jbv.silences/Rev/WF.jpg

The idea was to use transcript to update the imagedata.
So far the conclusion is that it works on small images (100 x
100 pixels, or 150 x 150 pixels) on a Mac G3/300 (I always
test my code on such rather slow machines rather on the latest
& fastest ones). But when the image size reaches 200 x 200, it
becomes way too slow... Needless to say that I spent quite a lot
of time optimizing the code... And forgot the idea of implementing
antialiasing...

Therefore I think I'll drop the Transcript way, and will use an
external in C with custom functions instead, or perhaps openGL.
Indeed my goal is to display waveforms full screen and in real
time.

BTW, during the past few weeks I put my nose into high end /
critical apps (like realtime sound processing), and even for display
tasks only, the limits of Transcript are reached very fast.
I see more and more Rev as a nice tool to build front ends and
GUIs, but all critical tasks need to be coded the hard way (in C).
The increasing speed of future cpus might make things somewhat
easier (in terms of choice of dev. tool for critical tasks) and Transcript

might remain a possible choice for some projects, but well, I have to
make some decisions now...

Well, I mean : I was aware of the limitations of Rev for a long time.
But the point I want to make is that more and more often I'm asked by
clients (or want, just for fun) to undertake sophisticated apps, and less
and less often Rev looks like the right tool for that...
That's funny because only 2 or 3 years ago, MC allowed me to do
everything without adding anything to the stacks. So the question is :
does Rev evolves as fast as the market needs ?

JB