asynchronous messages and answer dialog

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Mar 18 18:29:54 EST 2004

rodney tamblyn wrote:

>...there's the inconsistency between "the windows"
> (where it doesn't appear) and '"is there a window "answer dialog"'
 > where it does.

I think this may be a case where attempting compatibility with another
xTalk may have unexpected consequences:

In Transcript, a "window" is a different entity than a stack; indeed one
can open a stack in the window of another stack.

In SuperCard, the function "windows()" returns a list of open window
objects, which in that xTalk roughly equate to what a substack is in
Transcript.

So when MetaCard added support for "windows()" for the benefit of
SuperCard users, it created a case of mixed metaphors in attempting to
use "window" and "stack" as synonyms, which is the case with "if there
is a window..." (functionally the same as "if there is a stack").

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation