OT two+ buck a gallon gas AAARRRGGGGHHH

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Mar 17 16:57:29 EST 2004

Marian Petrides wrote:

> Both very interesting--and the smartmoney article was VERY chilling (and
> I don't mean that in the temperature sense, although if heating oil
> supplies drop, there's that prospect too!)
>
>> Get used to it --  the "peak oil" moment seems nearly here, and finally
>> starting to get attention in mainstream media:
>> <http://www.smartmoney.com/barrons/index.cfm?Story=20040315>

Sorry to perpetuate an OT thread, but I feel partly responsible for
"chill" so I just wanted to offer a reminder that even the worst-case
scenario for peak oil is completely avoidable, and with relative ease.

And best of all, all that's needed are things that will for the most
part save you money.  So you can use a small portion of that to take a
few minutes out and remind your elected representatives that you're
their employer and are thereby delegating to them the task of
establishing a sustainable energy policy.

An Arab scholar once wrote: "The Stone Age didn't end because we ran out
of stones", alluding to the opportunity to see the end of the Petroleum
Age not because we run out, but simply because we choose cleaner and
most cost-effective alternatives.  As more people are becoming aware of
the total cost of choosing oil, the alternatives become more
self-evidently worth pursuing.

The amount of research likely needed to take existing proven solutions
and work out the scaling and production details needed for profitability
is relatively low:

<http://www.unesco.org/education/tlsf/theme_a/mod02/www.worldgame.org/wwwproject/what06.shtml>

--
  Richard Gaskin