Revolution, PDAs and Data exchange. (was Re: Database Experience)

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Tue Mar 16 01:27:55 EST 2004

On Mar 16, 2004, at 2:57 AM, John Tenny wrote:

> And what's been the experience with importing data from PDAs into Rev,
> in some database format? How y'all doin' that?
>
> John

Thats tricky!!!! depends on the plataform... but you could play like
this, is you PDA connected to the internet and able to use HTTP for
fetching and playing with Web pages? If so you can use
ServerWorkz/revHTTPd ( http://home.soapdog.org:8081/ ) for it can
transport automatically between html forms and  rev stacks, or you can
use LibCGI if you don't want to launch a custom HTTPd

If you don't want to use web pages, you might still use revHTTPd and/or
LibCGI for the dirty work by arranging PDA data as XML and POSTing it
to a running server on the desktop. This would be easier with revHTTPd
for it's a self contained solution, LibCGI requires a running HTTP
server like apache.

By using appForge (http://www.appforge.com) you can quickly create
PalmOS/PocketPC apps that do understand about HTTP so syncing is easy
as long as you have a network connection.

For hotsync connection I don't know any info, but it hotsync can be
used for internet sharing, than, we get back on business. If this
thread is important, I can DEMO a PalmOS Custom app + Revolution
Desktop App solution. What do all think?

Cheers
Andre

--
Andre Alves Garzia - Soap Dog Studios - BRAZIL
http://studios.soapdog.org