Upgrade version and pricing [was] Re: Fix it before moving ahead

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sun Mar 14 16:44:25 EST 2004

On Sunday, March 14, 2004, at 12:53 PM, Marian Petrides wrote:

> Are you suggesting that if I buy 9.1.1 today and you release 10.0
> tomorrow that you have no obligation whatsoever to me to ensure that
> 9.1.1 meets the specifications you set out for it , specifications
> upon which I based my decision to purchase it?   Surely that cannot be
> right.

I didn't mean to suggest that.

My obligation depends on my promise.  A good agreement puts bounds on
the obligations of both parties.  A good agreement specifies
obligations.

Flaws are not fraud, but remedies might be in order depending on the
agreement.

(There might also be civil law obligations/remedies or common law or
commercial obligations/remedies depending on your planet.)

A reputation may and should depend on an ability to keep promises and
an ability to make good agreements.  It may depend on service beyond
obligation.

Dar Scott