use-revolution Digest, Vol 6, Issue 89

Stephen King st.king42 at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 14 04:49:41 EST 2004

Geoff,

This is all good of course but what about those windows media issues raised
many times on the list. Here in the UK, the windows/mac balance is probably
95%/5%. Certainly everything I build for school use and club use is Windows.

I bought my Rev partly on its multimedia and cross platform capability  -
then find, like many others that Rev when targetted for windows doesn't
properly support native windows files (Wav/AVIs) except in a very limited
form and many basic features are not available. AVI and WAV is a big part of
multimedia in the windows environment. It is clear from recent posts that
users are still trying to find workarounds for progress bars etc playing
AVIs in windows. And as for SAPI - I seem to remember speech was a specific
feature of Rev 2, and Win XP was hardly new when Rev 2 came out.
Personally, I don't feel it is valid to claim these features which really
require third party support - its a bit like claiming distribution in a
compressed format without providing a self decompression because a win XP
target machine has a decompressor built in - doesn't help the users of 98,
95 etc.
As has been mentioned  many times on the list, these sort of users do not
have the knowledge or admin rights to download QT or SAPI4 to their
machines.
And the 'cell' fields - do they really have the functionality suggested?

So I guess my question would be - are these new features to be paid for
(again, in my view) or are they bug fixes?

To end on a positive though, like all the others on the list I am still very
impressed with what rev allows me to do in a very short time and see these
as important feature limitations to me, but also only a small subset of what
Rev does very well. As I don't use web, XML, Mac build etc type features and
it is just unfortunate for me, this small subset is actually a large part of
what I use it for, so for me it is a big blocker.

Cheers
Steve