Upgrade version and pricing [was] Re: Fix it before moving ahead

j j at clsdesignassociates.com
Sun Mar 14 02:17:51 EST 2004

> You could update from 2.1.2 to 2.1.3 for free, no questions asked. You
> could probably update from 2.1.2 to 2.1.4 if you contacted the company
> and asked. You might be able to update from 2.1.2 to 2.2 for free,
> depending on when you purchased 2.1.2.

If the third place number indicates bug fixes or minor changes (2.1.x),
shouldn't anyone who purchased 2.1.2 receive 2.1.4—even up to 2.1.9—for
free?  The numbering scheme would indicate they are all "bug fix"
updates.  One would think that my "included free upgrade" would be the
move to 2.2—the next true "upgrade" based on additional
features—regardless of when it is finally released.

It seems to me that purchase of the license promising the "next free
upgrade" actually means giving me each new release up to and including
the one where the second place number (2.x) changes.

J.