Upgrade version and pricing [was] Re: Fix it before moving ahead

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Mar 13 23:01:45 EST 2004

On 3/13/04 5:53 PM, Geoff Canyon wrote:

> Where did you read this? On this page it says "Next feature update
> included":
>
> http://www.runrev.com/Revolution1/licensing1.html

The form letter that customers get after purchase says what is quoted;
that is, the user is entitled to one upgrade. The intent is that the
user is entitled to the next released upgrade, just as the web page
states. I doubt the company would honor someone's request to skip
several updates or upgrades and then make a large jump, though they
usually try to be as accomodating as possible to occasional lapses if
the customer contacts the company personally.

> regards,
>
> Geoff Canyon
> gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
>
> On Mar 13, 2004, at 8:25 AM, A.C.T. wrote:
>
>> Of course this was an issue for me as well before I decided to support
>> the company by paying the studio license fee. But in fact the policy
>> says "you are entitled to ONE free upgrade" - it does NOT SAY "you are
>> entitled to ONE DIRECTLY FOLLOWING upgrade". So I just shrugged and
>> told myself: Ok, I just get that upgrade for free that I want - I
>> could wait until V3.0 and get that for free, since I have ONE UPGRADE
>> FREE.

For general info: Runtime follows the same update/upgrade procedure that
people have been talking about here. They use three decimal places in
version numbering. Increments in the third place ("2.1.x") are free
updates, usually bug fixes or minor changes. Increments in the second
decimal place ("2.x") are paid upgrades, usually with discounts for
those people who have purchased fairly recently before it was released,
or for those people with older, discontinued license histories.
First-decimal-place increments, i.e., from version 1 to version 2, are
major updates that just about everyone has to purchase.

It is not likely that you could update for free from any version of 2 to
version 3, since that would be a major release upgrade. (An exception
might be if you had purchased 2 very shortly before 3 came out.) You
could update from 2.1.2 to 2.1.3 for free, no questions asked. You could
probably update from 2.1.2 to 2.1.4 if you contacted the company and
asked. You might be able to update from 2.1.2 to 2.2 for free, depending
on when you purchased 2.1.2.

In my experience, this is pretty standard industry pricing procedure.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com