Upgrade versus update

A.C.T. albrecht at act-net.com
Sat Mar 13 17:56:07 EST 2004

Hi, Marian,

> Ah, but what happens when those bug fixes come bundled with major
> feature enhancements?  Is that an update or an upgrade?  Sounds like an
> upgrade to me.

That's an "upgrade", as it carries "major enhancements".
Please don't get me wrong on this: I am willing to pay for "upgrades"
(that I need) and I am expecting free "updates" where necessary!

Now if a company decides to NOT bugfix their product "for free" for the
honest customer the result - at least on the long run - will be: less
customers. That's just what the market is like: The way you deal with
your customers defines the way they deal with you. I have bought my
license from Runrev because I think Revolution is a product that may
help me creating some specific products. I haven't really started using
it (as I really get headache from Transcript), so I cannot tell if I
"need" an update or an upgrade right now :-)

> I like your idea about having a choice in which upgrade you want to
> take.  I hope you'll post on this list what happens when you try to use
> your free upgrade to go from 2.x to 3.x, because I suspect this is an
> eventuality that RunRev had not anticipated and had not intended.
> Clever reading on your part!

Well, that's just what the license says: "Your key is valid for the
current release and one upgrade." It does not say "and the next upgrade
available", it clearly says "and one upgrade". So it is my choice which
upgrade I want to have for free: if there are major enhancements in the
next version it's most likely that I choose that. If the next-plus-one
version is two years ahead, it's very likely that I also choose the next
version as well. But if the frequency of upgrades should be three/four a
year, it's very likely that I do not upgrade to the very next but one of
the following versions. According to the license that's what the key is
for: "one free upgrade". I consider this a fair license and I am going
to change some of my own licenses according to this idea.

Back to "updates": Software nearly never ever is "bug-free". A
cooperative way to keep your customers satisfied is handing out
"patches" (or call them "updates"), because this shows: You do care for
what you have done. That's true especially for companies that have
limited resources: The smaller your budget is the more important it is
to have satisfied customers (I tend to call them "partners") that are
willing to pay for "real upgrades", because you fix the bugs you made in
the product you sold them. Only big companies can allow themselves to
ignore that they have made mistakes (do I need to name some?) and "sell
every bugfix as an upgrade". From the cooperative side this leads to
short-term partnerships, and it's up to the company to decide if they
prefer that to long-term partnerships with customers/partners that pay
for "real upgrades" because you care for your product.

Marc Albrecht
A.C.T. / level-2
Glinder Str. 2
27432 Ebersdorf