new plugin...altCleanStack Clean Up Your stacks and save up to 58%!

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Mar 11 16:14:24 EST 2004

New AltCleanStack plugin...

I've run this on many of my existing stacks to reduce the filesize and
have saved up to 58%. Running it on Hemingway alone saved over 640K (46%)

Of course, like all existing altPlugins...it's free.

http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/altPluginDownload/Downloads.htm

 From the website:

This plugin allows you to remove custom Rev properties in order to
reduce the filesize of stacks which are not to be included in
standalones. The distribution builder automatically does these things
for standalones.

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions:

What does this really do?

Rev creates a custom property set called cREVGeneral for each stack,
card and control. This set contains property values used by the IDE.
When a developer builds a standalone, this property set is
systematically removed as the standalone no longer needs access to IDE
property sets. One of the properties in cREVGeneral is "the script" and
it contains the htmlText of the script for that object. This is done so
that users who choose to colorize their scripts, can quickly access them
later. The size for this property is greater than the actual script
size, so if you have a stack with many lines of code, this property can
dramatically increase your stack size.

Can I still edit my stack in the RunRev IDE?

Certainly! If you altClean your stack and remove the cREVGeneral prop
sets, you can still edit you stack and run it in the IDE as you normally
would. Rev will just add the cREVGeneral to any control you edit --
eventually growing the stack in size until it is back where you started.

If the Distribution Builder already deletes the cREVGeneral prop set,
then why do I care?

Some people distribute stacks outside of the standalone. These stacks
don't need the cREVGeneral prop set and can be reduced in size
significantly. In my case, I use a splash screen standalone which
downloads the latest version of a stack from the web. The size of the
stack on the web is reduced condsiderably by 'altCleaning' it.

Will AltClean remove any other RunRev custom prop sets which may effect
my project?

No, it doesn not affect other custom prop sets or other profiles. The
Geometry Manager and other RunRev features still work as planned.

Why did it take you so long to write this plugin?

Actually, I first learned of this issue while talking with Richard
Gaskin and Geoff Canyon at the Revolution Conference in San Francisco
MacWorld. Then Monte Goulding filled me in on exactly how to clean a
stack. Thanks to all of them, this plugin is now freely available.

As usual with any of our plugins, please back up your stacks! I use
altPluginArchive to do this. It also makes a serialized copy of a stack
each time it is invoked.