AVI/WMV Playback Control?

Peter Reid preid at reidit.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 8 18:22:38 EST 2004

Chipp

Thanks for the feedback.

The problem we have is corporate clients who don't want to install
ANYTHING on their workstations in order to run training packages with
multimedia content!  Thus they say "it's OK as long as it uses the
standard media facilities in Windows"!!  Given the variations in
Windows "standards" for media, this is nothing short of a joke, but
it's what they say!

I have a perfectly good package that works very well with QuickTime
clips that actually consist of Flash + Voice-over + Text caption
tracks - very compact, very good quality and very flexible (as I'm
able to enable/disable any combination of the tracks).  Despite this,
I have to find an "alternative" to having QuickTime installed on many
10s-1000s of client workstations.  I can't even rely on them having
Flash installed either.  So I'm afraid that DivX doesn't stand a
chance as it would mean installing a new CODEC on all these
workstations!!  Hence my desperate interest in AVI/WMV as installed
as part of a "standard" corporate installation.

The AVI equivalent of one of my 500K QuickTime/Flash clips can be up
to 7Mb and poor quality.  However the WMV version is much closer in
size and the quality is acceptable (as long as you don't change the
size of the playback clip!).

I'm afraid its the old VHS vs Beta/V2000 story again - so what that
it always looks like it's snowing on sunny days, at least everyone
sees the same snow!!

By the way, I have the same problem with AVI playback as WMV - I
can't change the currentTime and continue playback from the new
position.  So it looks like a problem for all Windows media control
from Rev, not just WMV format files.

Cheers

Peter