TSCC license

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Mar 9 03:07:49 EST 2004

On Mar 8, 2004, at 10:36 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> I use MP3 for voice compression...it works well..about 2K per second.
> Question is, how long is your video? I just checked out some of the
> SnapZ videos and here's what I found:
>
> <from a private chat>
>
> chippwalters: for comparison...snapz is 419x299 while the geoMgr is
> 640x480
> chippwalters: both about 3 Mb
> chippwalters: mine is over 3 minutes in length, theirs is only 16
> seconds!
> chippwalters: their fps is 12, mine 5
>
> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> Michael J. Lew wrote:
>>> Did anyone read the license agreement for the TSCC codec before
>>> clicking through and having it installed? It is 23969 characters
>>> long (Rev counted them for me ;-)...
>>> I chose not to install the software.
>> Maybe you don't need TSCC.  The videos Adobe uses are good with plain
>> ol' QuickTime, and the QT output from Ambrosia's SnapzX is pretty
>> good.
>> I've been doing some training screen-videos for a client and I've
>> found the Qualcomm TruVoice codec is great for voiceovers -- I got a
>> 12MB recording done with Snapz down to 1.9MB.

The Ambrosia videos use the QuickTime Animation codec which isn't a
very good delivery codec but it is all QT really had for screen
capture.  At 100% quality it is lossless but even when you drop the
percentage slider down you get larger file sizes then you would with a
codec like TSCC.  Ensharpen for QT is actually a pretty big deal
because QT has not had a screen capture delivery codec while WiMP and
Real have for quite some time.  The codec has good compression, is
lossless and is nice to your CPU (unlike Sorenson).

At this point the codec can be cumbersome since it isn't part of
Apple's Component Download.  TechSmith applied for it but they haven't
been added to the program yet.  All of my companies current projects
are delivered on CD-ROM so we will be distributing the Ensharpen codec
with our software installers since the majority of our help uses screen
capture videos.  We've found that a well made tutorial video gets a
user up and running with our software much faster then a help file or
readme which people never seem to look at.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com