Indirect Reference

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Mon Mar 8 10:50:02 EST 2004

On Sunday, March 7, 2004, at 01:21 PM, Jim Carwardine wrote:

>     put getTheDate(field it) into field it
>
> When I execute this statement, “it” contains... “actionStepDueDate” of
> group
> “actionStep1”

In this case, the engine is looking for a field whose name is all that
is in 'it', that is, a name with even the group phrase in it.

I often use the long id for object references like this.

You might be able to use something like this (untested):

    get format("field \"alpha"\" of group \"beta\"")  -- special literal
syntax in format()
    set the text of it to "something"

I confess that I still get mixed up in object expressions.

Dar Scott