Hard code or portable code

hershrev hershbp at realtorsgroup.us
Wed Mar 3 23:24:44 EST 2004

Yes , All hats up for you.
Just a question, why when I write ...
put function () into field x it doesn't replace the old contents of the
field ?
Also to understand how does it work, when is this function activated ?

On Wednesday, March 3, 2004, at 08:44 PM, Brian Yennie wrote:

> Hershrev,
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "hard-code".
> If you want a persistent way to reference a field, regardless of it's
> name, you can use the ID.
> Or, to get all of the fields, something like:
>
> repeat with i=1 to (the number of flds)
>   put fld i after myVar
> end repeat
>
> If you want to write a function that always returns you the latest:
>
> function latestFields
>   local myVar
>   repeat with i=1 to (the number of flds)
>     put fld i after myVar
>   end repeat
>   return myVar
> end latestFields
Now to compare if I write
on mouseUp
   repeat with x=1 to the number of flds
     put text of field x & return after y
   end repeat
  put y into fld 1
end mouseUp

what is the difference besides function or message, speed wise or
something else ?
thanks , hershrev