System Requirements

Martin Baxter martin at materiaprima.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Mar 2 03:55:10 EST 2004

Hi Tom,

Can't offer any useful info on win systems, but In addition to what others
have said :

I have run 68k standalones under system 7.6 with reasonable success. How
much ram you'll need depends on your project of course. With hypercard
things were loaded from disk as required. but with rev, anything open is
loaded entirley into ram, so in general you'll need more of it than with HC.

I would however strongly advise you to test on an actual system 7 machine
if you are going to claim your software runs on one, because I've found
some significant differences between running under emulation on a PPC mac
and running actually on a 68k mac. Some things you might not expect may
crash, some things will work more like windows than mac, some things may
just fail.

Unless supporting older macs is important in your situatuion, it may be
saner to draw an arbitrary line under OS 8.6, as many vendors do nowadays,
alas.

As for revolution's stated minimum requirements, in my experience the IDE
doesn't really run under the minimum conditions stated. And in any case, a
standalone should (or can be made so that it will) require much less muscle
than the revolution IDE.

Martin