Again with the start using.

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Tue Mar 2 01:51:38 EST 2004

At 1:44 PM -0800 3/1/2004, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>By what rules could one intuit whether a given token is a function
>or a property?
>
>Jeanne, what's Kamins' argument for this one?

You mean Winkler's? I'm not sure myself. I do note though that global
properties in HyperTalk can be expressed as properties of HyperCard -
for example, "if the suspended of HyperCard is true..." Written this
way, there's no ambiguity - all properties are "of" something - and
it could be that leaving off the "of HyperCard" was originally a
shortcut.

Differentiating between global properties and no-parameter functions
is difficult for me too, for what it's worth. (It's the main reason
that for "HT 2.2: The Book", I reorganized the language reference to
put the terms in alphabetical order, instead of grouped by type of
term - with the first edition, I was always having to look under both
Functions and Properties to find things.)

But I rarely use the () form for functions that don't take a
parameter, so in practice the confusion isn't normally a problem for
me personally when scripting. Just when looking things up. ;-)

>And what is the rule that determines when "the" is necessary?  Is it
>required for custom props only, and optional with all others?

I think so. (But it's strongly recommended to always use "the" to
reference properties; not using "the" is one of those things that
might not always be supported, so....)
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com