Another Revolution Success Story

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Jun 28 21:50:31 EDT 2004

At 18:02 28/06/2004 -0400, Troy Rollins wrote:

>On Jun 28, 2004, at 5:40 PM, Kurt Kaufman wrote:
>
>>A physician in our area had a need for an application which could easily
>>import patient data from a text file (multiple rows of comma-delineated
>>data).  It was a simple task, using Revolution, to open the file and read
>>the data to a field.  Subsequently a "model" card was cloned and the
>>appropriate data sent to various fields on each card. Over a thousand
>>records were created this way in a few minutes.The only stumbling block
>>involved my forgetting that a standalone cannot modify itself.  No matter
>>though; I merely created an invisible "starter app" that immediately
>>opened a data stack in the data folder.
>>The application works "as advertised".
>>The doctor was impressed that it was possible to do this in a few hours!
>
>String handling apps DO seem to be Rev's forte.

yes, string handling is pretty good - but I'm surprised that Rev has no
built-in support for CSV files. They are a pretty common interchange
format, but handling the variations commonly found makes it non-trivial to
do this properly - quoted fields, delimiter in quoted fields, escaped or
doubled quotes within a field, etc.

Has anyone written and contributed a library to avoid others having to
"roll-your-own" ?

(*) - I should probably say "appears to have no built-in support" - there
may be something that I just can't find in the docs.

-- Alex.