Branching Code

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Sun Jun 27 12:20:31 EDT 2004

All,

As I approach a product release myself, something is in the works which
strikes me as related to Revolution. Code branching.

For me, I have version 2.1 of a product coming out. This means we'll be
creating an older 2.0 branch of our code. Purpose? So that we can
provide bug fixes for existing 2.0 customers without forcing them to
upgrade to 2.1 which a) costs extra money b) possibly has it's own
(new) bugs.

Sound familiar?

Any chance Revolution will start keeping at least two branches of code?
It seems like there hasn't been one _solid_ release yet as far as
bugginess. Don't get me wrong, lots of it works. But whenever someone
is stuck they have to wait for the new version... pay extra (if their
license expired)... and then find new bugs. And the old version never,
ever gets fixed because it's old.

Thoughts?

- Brian