Record, Back Up, Record again, Over Last Section

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat Jun 26 02:21:05 EDT 2004

I'm trying to collapse a production cycle that goes like this:

1) someone reads text into a microphone,
2) if they cough or mis-read, they stop and read the sentence gain
clearly.
3) file is transferred from digital recording device, to hard drive on
the server.
4) task assignment is issued: open audio file in Peak, edit and clean
up errors and save.
5) enter key words, title etc. associated with the file for dbase
tracking
5) Person does the task (sometime, sooner or later) --> job done

typically the above can fall apart for a variety of reasons and if I
could somehow turn over editing  control to the reader at the input
process and give the reader control over the recording he could fix his
own mistakes and the final resulting audio file would be clean from the
get go.

Imagine a rev app which is kind of like an an screen teleprompter...
user clicks "record" and the text begins to appear, big type, scrolling
slowly. If he mis-speaks or sneezes or gets a phone call.. he presses a
button stops recording and then backs up listens to the end of the
recording and stops it exactly where he wants to begin again and then
clicks record and starts recording again, effectively  overwriting the
end of, appending-to, the audio segment with his new reading. When
done, dialog boxes appear, calling for insertion of key data This is
saved off as a mini XML.xml text file with the same name as the audio
file.

This would collapse the above cycle to a one off:

Record --> job done:

But I don't see any option for something with a possible syntax of
something like

record append ("file:/some.aiff") from 10:22:34

I don't think this is doable within Rev with the existing controls, but
before saying "can't" I just wanted to check if anyone had ever done
something like this, or can visualize another work flow (Mac only would
be fine) that accomplished the same thing. So far from this list I
don't see much that can be done with a computer that Revolutionaries
haven't found a solution for. ;-)

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery