What is the difference between a ' and a " ?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jun 26 01:37:12 EDT 2004

Troy Rollins wrote:

 > To be honest, I don't prefer to declare my variables unless there
 > scope is something more than handler level, that is too much like
 > RealBasic. I just want all unquoted strings to be variables, or
 > throw an error. It is the unquoted string literals that kill me.

I see.  Thanks for the clarification.  Yes, a quotedStrings property
would seem a useful middle ground.

 > Those, and the quoted variable names (which are required on occasion)
 > you get both of those instances in a single script and you wonder if
 > gravity is going to give out too.

When is a variable required to be quoted?

 > Personally, I quote my strings. But if something goes wrong in my
 > coding (I introduce a bug), Rev is just as happy to keep on going
 > as though it  was all good... and then turn around and throw me
 > an unquoted literal exception of some kind which is completely
 > bogus, in a different script which doesn't have anything of the
 > kind.

Sounds like the problem may be less about unquoted strings than about
making sure Rev reports errors more accurately.

Do you have a recipe for that sort of thing that still occurs in v2.2.1?

 > Transcript is sort of the wild west of coding, anything goes, there
 > are few rules to adhere to, but lots of bear traps laying around
 > that will catch you when you least expect it. But... it's powerful
 > too. No question there.
 >
 > Makes the wild west a great place to visit, but I don't tend to like
 > staying too long. I prefer the stability of something on say...
 > version 10.  ;-)

The version number is artificially low because Scott Raney, who
stewarded the engine for most of its life, is extremely modest with
version numbers.  He's had very major releases introducing a great many
powerful new features and even a file format change that in his mind
only warranted a dot release.  His coding is some of the finest I've
ever worked with, but he'd be the first to admit his genius doesn't
extend to marketing. :)

The engine was born in 1992 on Unix, ported to Win32 in the mid-90s and
to Mac in the late 90s.  While the engine version is numbered only 2.6,
if it was an Adobe or Macromedia product it would be called 10.0. ;)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation