Upgrades Should Be More Transparent

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jun 25 16:53:39 EDT 2004

Dan Shafer wrote:

> I hope that in the near future -- as in before the release of 2.3 --
> RunRev will figure out how to make an installation of an upgrade smoother.
>
> I have to download the new version (in its entirety), copy over all the
> non-duplicated stuff in my current Rev folder, launch, and provide my
> license code. No other program I use on OS X requires that complexity
> for an upgrade.

The MetaCard IDE now lets you specify any folder to use for its plugins,
and the Home stack (the equivalent of Rev's License.rev) can be copied
from one installation to another in between major upgrades to avoid the
annoyance of needing to hunt down and re-enter the license info.

While MC is arguably too sparse an environment for me to recommend it,
hopefully such ideas can inspire similar changes in the Rev IDE to make
updating more fun.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation