Non-blocking FTP directory listing?

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Thu Jun 24 10:56:14 EDT 2004

On Jun 24, 2004, at 5:41 AM, Dave Cragg wrote:

>> Or is there a different non-blocking technique for directory
>> listings? libURLDownloadToFile doesn't seem quite what I want.
>
> You can use "load" to get an ftp directory listing in the same way as
> for other urls. The "load" command is non-blocking.
>
> However, directory listings usually don't take too long, so is there a
> reason why you want this to be non-blocking? Generally I use "get" for
> this.

Of course there is a reason. My application is quite complex(4000+
lines in one card), it is continually parsing a feed from a telnet
connection... multiple times a second. Blocking operations of any kind
are not favorable in situations like this. The rest of the application
has to continue its duties while FTP communications are ongoing, else
things get... backed up and out of sync. That said, I've found getting
the directory listing to be as fast as you say... but then, the server
is currently local. That may not always be the case.
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.