A clue for using Valentina by XCMD

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Mon Jun 21 08:54:05 EDT 2004

Can anyone give me some clues about using Valentina from Rev via the XCMD?

I've been able to use it via the revdb functions with some limited success,
but had some crashes (sadly not been able to pin down) and I think not
everything can be done via the SQL interface - for example, I've not been
able to create a new database from scratch.  So I'd like to dig into the
direct interface.

I've looked at the documentation, both Rev's and Valentina's, but not got
anywhere.

As I understand it, Rev ships with the Valentina XCMD already integrated it.
Is that right, or should I need to do install anything else to get working?

My first - perhaps it's my only - problem is the name of the function.  The
documentation from Rev is nowhere (that I can find) explicit about this.
The documentation from Paradigma suggests that there should be a function
called "Valentina", eg that there should be possible to execute
    put Valentina( "Version" )

When I attempt the above, I get "error in function handler".  (I also tried
it as a handler rather than a function - just get the equivalent, "no such
handler".)  Do I need to do something else to make the Valentina functions
available?  Or is just a slightly different name?

Any clues gratefully accepted.

  Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
  Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
  http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866