X10 [was: Re: socket and serial port]

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sun Jun 20 18:23:57 EDT 2004

Jacque-

Friday, June 18, 2004, 1:34:09 PM, you wrote:

JLG> Mark, if you get this working, I'd love to know. We've been running our
JLG> house on X10 for years now. I used to run an old interface (can't
JLG> remember what it was called, it was the original from way back) that
JLG> allowed 2-way communication from a computer to X10 devices, but it never
JLG> worked correctly so I took it out of the system. But if you get your Rev
JLG> stack working, I'd be tempted to buy a firecracker device just to play
JLG> with it.

Well, the scope never lies. I put rev in a tight loop to generate the
fastest square wave I could on DTR and found that the "open port"
command does indeed reset the port first. This (pulling both DTR and
RTS low) has the effect of resetting the firecracker x10 controller on
each data bit sent, effectively ruling out rev for any x10 work. The
only ways around this I can think of are for me to spawn an external
library to extend the serial control functions, and for runrev to give
me more control over the port; neither of which I expect to happen in
a short time frame.

I filed BZ #1708 as a suggested enhancement on this.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net