make a list field act like a menu button?

Erik Hansen erikhans08 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 19 19:24:47 EDT 2004

this must have been covered. a few keywords
should be enough for me to search the archives.

goal:
allow the user to select options without having
to:
reopen a control each time,
click on a line in a control each time.

a button: hides/shows the field. -- no problem
here
a field: autohilite, listbehavior, vScrollbar =
true

 on mouseDown
    repeat
       put (word 2 of the selecteLine of me) into
pVar
       makeSomeChanges pVar -- different screen
displays
       if (the mouse is up)  then
          exit mouseDown
       end if
    end repeat
 end mouseDown

this way assumes that the user likes to keep the
mouse
down while scrolling. OTOH, the "Start" button on
my
PC drops a menu on mouseUp, then hilites each
line as you soar over the field while (the mouse
= "up").

selectedLine() gives a number when clicking on a
line,
and this will work, but it would be great to have

the entire screen continuously changing without
clicking.

Thank you,

Erik Hansen

=====