Trying to use the metaphor

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Fri Jun 18 18:46:44 EDT 2004

Hi All,

Le 18 juin 04, à 22:15, J. Landman Gay a écrit :

> On 6/18/04 1:27 PM, Troy Rollins wrote:
>
>> I can't tell you how many times I've types "myVar =" to start setting
>> the value of a variable. This is not the kind of thing even someone
>> _completely_ new to programming would do, simply because they would
>> only know the syntax as defined by Rev. Similarly for those coming
>> from other "Card script" languages.
>
> Actually, coming from HC, it was just about as frustrating for me as
> it has been for you. The two environments are similar enough that I
> thought I ought to know how to do things, but different enough that I
> ended up with the same frustrations you are having now. Richard Gaskin
> and I have both walked a number of x-talkers through the Rev learning
> curve and it always seems to go the same way -- Richard has a good
> list of responses that I can't recall exactly but which is close
> enough to the norm to make me laugh out loud each time I read it. It
> starts off with something like "I hate this damn program" and ends up
> with "How did I ever live without this?" Maybe he'll repost -- and you
> will see that you are definitely not alone. ;)

As many ones there, i loved HC and had some frustrations when i
switched to SuperCard 2.5 and again in switching to Metacard and again
in switching to Rev but to the end :

1.- Hypertalk + Fred's XCMD + Windowscript + Resedit = SuperTalk ;
SuperTalk + Compil-It + Marionet <  Metatalk < Transcript

2.- The IDE are'nt always as simple as the previous one was but, to the
end, they are always more and more powerfull...

HC was a closed tool where Rev challenges SmallTalk, Eiffel, Lisp or
Java...

> --

Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris
F - 77140 Nemours

psahores+ at +easynet.fr

GSM:   +33 6 03 95 77 70
Pro:      +33 1 41 60 52 68
Dom:    +33 1 64 45 05 33
Fax:      +33 1 64 45 05 33

Inspection académique de Seine-Saint-Denis
Applications et SGBD ACID SQL (WEB et PGI)
Penser et produire "delta de productivité"